Wednesday, April 3, 2013

13 Months: Training - Day 17

Jack was not happy with me when I
returned from my errands.
Is it Friday yet?  This week has been long and tiring and I am ending each day feeling wrung out.  Today I had to take Dieter back to the vet for a recheck on his anal gland, which we discovered was abscessed over the weekend.  I also have Max's anal glands emptied, since he cannot do that himself with how they are placed and finally had two back to back evaluations of dogs for new clients.  By the time I returned at just after 4 PM I was worn to the ground, but saw a perfect opportunity for training Emma down the street and took her out.

To say the least, I got all of Jack's training done early today.  He still howls like he's being murdered in the crate when I leave him, but the alternative is him either destroying my home or urinating and defecating in it when I am gone.  The crate is his and my safest option for when I do have to leave him behind.

I'll start the process of training him to be okay when I step out of his line of sight in the crate and build up time; but until then, my neighbors will be sung to by a Poodle in my home.

Today's Lessons:


Zen

Jack is working on Level 2: Step 1 Zen.  In this step Jack is asked to ignore a treat left exposed on the ground.  Today I added Fish Sauce to his kibble to bring up his interest in training, so I worked through Level 1: Steps 1-3 Zen.  Each time we review Level 1 Zen Jack becomes stronger and stronger on his Zen behavior.  He has learned to ignore the bowl of treats set beside me, which is Level 1: Step 4 Zen and he's becoming an old hat at the entire Level 1 Zen concept.  With the stronger smelling treats Jack clearly got the idea that to get what he wanted, the treat, he had to wait for me to offer it to him.

We worked up to Level 2: Step 1 Zen and began Level 2: Step 2 Zen, which is his waiting up to 30 seconds before I click.  We got up to 5 seconds today.  I'll continue to review Level 1 Zen and work Level 2 Zen with Jack until he can easily do all of the steps cold.

Target

Jack is working on Level 1: Step 2 Target.  In this step Jack is asked to reach high and low to touch my hand with his nose.  For the first time I am getting solid nose touches when Jack reaches out and he's doing both high and low with a bit more purpose. His low is stronger than his high.  I am also asking for to the left and to the right of him to touch my hand.

Today I began introducing Level 1: Step 3 Target by holding my hand further and further from his nose so he had to finally take a step to touch it.  He is doing very well with this lesson.  I will continue to work on Jack's Target skills.

Sit

Jack is working on Level 1: Step 3 Sit Comeafters.  Today I worked Jack in the living room while I was standing and turned slightly away from him.  Jack has become stronger at Sit, but needs to start applying Sit to more parts of his life.  I am asking him for Sits at the front door and to greet people.  I have begun to ask for Sits before setting his bowl before him and before putting his leash on him.

I will continue to work the Sit Comeafters with Jack.

Observations

Yesterday when I removed Jack from the crate he was clearly stressed.  Today, though still stressed, his stress levels were less.  He still goes into the crate without argument and will remain quiet in the crate when I am in sight, but howls the moment I shut the door and leave.

After a day without bedding in his crate I gave him bedding today when crating him and he didn't rip or tear it up.  Though he has chews in his crate, he's not using them at this time.  Tomorrow I'll start crate work with Jack.

Level 1
ZenTargetComeSitDown
StepCompleted2232

Level 2
ZenComeSitDownTarget
Step10000
FocusLazy LeashGo To MatCrateDistance
Step01000
JumpRelaxHandlingTricksCommunication
Step00100

Level 3
ZenComeSitDownTarget
Step00000
FocusLazy LeashGo To MatCrateDistance
Step00000
JumpRelaxHandlingRetrieveCommunication
Step00010

Level 4
ZenComeRetrieveTargetRelax
Step00000
FocusLazy LeashGo To MatCrateDistance
Step00000
HandlingCommunication


Step00


No comments:

Post a Comment