Friday, May 3, 2013

14 Months: Training - Day 35

This training board allows the dogs to practice new skills.

Jack is progressing nicely with Target.  Like Emma, I decided to work on a single behavior this week to get him really thinking about what I was asking of him and it made a huge difference in his learning curve.  Today I pulled out the training board and worked with Jack pushing the "door" shut during his breakfast.  He was trying to solve the problem, but not really fully involved and it dawned on me that I have been asking both Emma and him to do behaviors that require a bit higher value reward to get them engaged in the training.

I chopped up some hot dog and cheese and added it to his kibble for lunch and sure enough, Jack was ready and willing to play my games and stayed engaged and involved the whole time we worked.  I even saw the "hey, why did we stop" look when I told him it was break time.

Once Jack knows a behavior he offers it with total commitment, but until then he's tentative and shy about offering anything.  I don't think he's fully equated that there is technically no wrong answer, just no click.  He'll get it and start offering more active behaviors when he's trying to get me to click.

It's been a great week with Jack and I believe he's progressing in both his basic training and public access training nicely.  I hope soon he can attend his first class and really begin expanding his horizons.

Today's Lessons:

Target

Jack is working on Level 2: Step 5 Target.  In this step Jack is asked to close a cabinet door with his nose. Jack yesterday got the idea to touch a flat surface, a wall, with his nose on cue, so today I brought out the training board and showed him what we are actually working toward.  Jack was curious about and willing to work with the training board and progressed nicely on his morning lessons.  He was touching the "door" on the board with enough force to move it and eventually close it.

On our afternoon sessions we worked with an actual cabinet door.  Jack closed the door several times, but he's still shy and tentative with the behavior, so we'll continue to work this step for a while.

Jack is progressing nicely.

Homework

Jack needs to practice Level 2 Target - both the steps and Comeafters this weekend.

Work on Come as a good thing.  When out in the yard call Jack to you and give him a reward for coming to you.  Teach Jack to come quickly by making Come fun when just relaxing in and out of the house.

Observations

Jack will be heading to a new adventure soon.  Ronda, his owner, has a vacation planned in which she'll be traveling with Jack.  I won't be seeing him during that period of time, though I will be caring for her Dachshund DJ.  I believe Jack will enjoy his travels and practicing his skills while out in the world.

Level 1
ZenTargetComeSitDown
StepCompletedCompleted2CompletedCompleted

Level 2
ZenComeSitDownTarget
Step30114
FocusLazy LeashGo To MatCrateDistance
Step11120
JumpRelaxHandlingTricksCommunication
Step00100

Level 3
ZenComeSitDownTarget
Step00000
FocusLazy LeashGo To MatCrateDistance
Step00000
JumpRelaxHandlingRetrieveCommunication
Step00010

Level 4
ZenComeRetrieveTargetRelax
Step00000
FocusLazy LeashGo To MatCrateDistance
Step00000
HandlingCommunication


Step00


No comments:

Post a Comment